Pimp my rig

Post sigs/sig requests here. Any technical advice or help you need post here.
Kanedax
Redneck Cowboy

Pimp my rig

Postby Kanedax » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:18 pm

So guys, I got a little purchase happy and bought these.

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS24G8500ELKR2 - Retail

This will upgrade my current setup of

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10004GK - Retail

APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

SeaSonic SS-500ES 500W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

So I will be running the Quad core processor with 8 GB of RAM, I will have a storage drive of 1 TB. In the coming months I am going to upgrade to a 1000 Watt PSU and add another HD 4850 for Crossfire and maybe upgrade the processor a bit. :D
All these bitches checkin out my britches....

Kanedax
Redneck Cowboy

Postby Kanedax » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:26 pm

This is what the case looks like

I'm using my TV as my monitor: Sylvania 720p 22" LCD HDTV

I'm using this as my sound system: Samsung - 1000W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Upconvert DVD Player

And this is my new head set: RAZER Barracuda HP-1 Razer HD-DAI(High Definition-Dedicated Audio Interface) Connector Circumaural Gaming Headphones

ulx
Stand Behind Me!

Postby ulx » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:38 pm

have u cared overclocking ur cpu? A buddy also got a q6600 and it runs smoothly at 3.8Ghz!

Kanedax
Redneck Cowboy

Postby Kanedax » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Also I may be recieving a server in the coming months. From what I know of the specs it has 4 quad cores and 16 GB of RAM so needless to say I can take over hosting of whatever I can to make things cheaper for you numbskulls.

StevenJ
Stand Behind Me!

Postby StevenJ » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Kanedax wrote:Also I may be recieving a server in the coming months. From what I know of the specs it has 4 quad cores and 16 GB of RAM so needless to say I can take over hosting of whatever I can to make things cheaper for you numbskulls.
What did you pay for that, if yous don't mind me asking? And OS? :)

Garfield
Jake is my father.

Postby Garfield » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:59 am

Kanedax wrote:Also I may be recieving a server in the coming months. From what I know of the specs it has 4 quad cores and 16 GB of RAM so needless to say I can take over hosting of whatever I can to make things cheaper for you numbskulls.

can we setup a mailserver and spam "pizza hut" mails all over the world ?

Kanedax
Redneck Cowboy

Postby Kanedax » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 am

StevenJ wrote:
What did you pay for that, if yous don't mind me asking? And OS? :)

Well I haven't gotten it yet but the best part is, it belongs to my parents' company so I'll probably get it really really cheap :D

OS I believe is just Windows 2000 Server edition or something like that.

Also yes fatty, that is a definite possibility.

Tino

Postby Tino » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:25 pm

get me a cheap one will you ? :P

Kanedax
Redneck Cowboy

Postby Kanedax » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:30 am

Well Jake you were partially right, my XP only recognizes 5 gigs of RAM not the whole 8

Mad Jake
Supreme Leader
StopSpam: No

Postby Mad Jake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:35 am

XP 32 bit has a ceiling on the amount of memory it can address and can recognise 4 gigs of RAM. 2 gig is dedicated to the Kernal and 2 gig is available for applications, so any applications can only access 2 gigs. XP cannot address more memory. Anything beyond this is a waste of time, money etc.

However, if you are talking about Vista 64 bit, then that's a completely different ball game, and 8 gig will work fine . The memory limit for Vista 64 bit is dependant on whether you are running Vista home basic, Vista home premium or Vista business, enterprise and ultimate versions.

Check it out

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/ ... tml?diff=y
Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I just sit.

jaffo
Banned User

Postby jaffo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:50 am

i have vista and 4gb of ram which is the max i can have other wise as jake said its a waste. (starting to sound like i know what im talking about, dont be fooled).

this means that my opertating system is a 32 bit.

which meants that a nintendo 64 is more powerful because its a 64 bit thingy but my comp is 4 times better than a game boy as thats only 8 bit!

and i assume that when you say kernel you dont mean the guy from kfc

Kanedax
Redneck Cowboy

Postby Kanedax » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:07 pm

Mad Jake wrote:XP 32 bit has a ceiling on the amount of memory it can address and can recognise 4 gigs of RAM. 2 gig is dedicated to the Kernal and 2 gig is available for applications, so any applications can only access 2 gigs. XP cannot address more memory. Anything beyond this is a waste of time, money etc.

However, if you are talking about Vista 64 bit, then that's a completely different ball game, and 8 gig will work fine . The memory limit for Vista 64 bit is dependant on whether you are running Vista home basic, Vista home premium or Vista business, enterprise and ultimate versions.

Check it out

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/ ... tml?diff=y

Well, it was showing 4 GB but when I go in to the task manager thingy where it shows the memory ration :used/total: it shows up as slightly over 5 GB, I don't know why it would have gone up from 4 after I installed 4 more GB and not the whole 8 if the extra GB shown isn't being used. Just my .02. I may be wrong but on the whole the way that works doesn't make sense to me at all. (Not the memory limit but the way my used/max is shown going up another GB and not 4 more as if there is a cap but it is at 5.) Either way I plan on getting Windows 7 when it's released so this will be a moot point.

Return to “Graphics/Tech Talk (public)”